Sunday, November 13, 2011

Onto the second country!

We took a 15 dollar bus ride from Santa Ana, El Salvador to Guatemala City. It was a three hour ride but with traffic it ended up taking close to four. The ride was filled with beautiful scenery. I had my music and journal to keep me occupied. From Guatemala city we took a 45 minute bus ride to Antigua. The driving here is pretty unreal. Buses have no shame here and will go down streets you don't even think it is possible for them to fit but they somehow make it work! its crazy! 


My dad is my perfect travel partner. We are both so easy going and go with the flow individuals. We just laugh to each other about all the craziness we have experienced. We are having a better time then we could have ever imagined. These last few days have been filled with so much excitement and new experiences. I have yet to stop smiling! :)


Once in Antigua we met up with our next couch surfer who was Greg who owns a bagel shop in the downtown area.

Antigua, Guatemala -- Definitely in my top 5 favorite places I have ever been.


Greg's house blew me away it was a 5 bedroom, 4 bath, yoga/meditation room, office, sauna, heavenly place! It is like we are at a spa -- it is so beautiful/serene! The old president of Guatemala (who is now the Mayor of Antigua) lives around the corner from him if that gives you any idea of how incredible of an area he lives in. 


The sauna--neatest sauna I've ever been in.


Yoga/meditation room













Greg and my Dad

First night in Antigua-- enjoyed wine and movie night
Our first night we just enjoyed wine and movies in his Moroccan themed room. Tom we watched Horrible Bosses since I knew you were watching it without me at home. It was an okay movie.. The beginning was funny but then it kinda dragged on. However, the night was very relaxing and fun. The conversation was nonstop and so stimulating! I loved it!

Our second day was one of the best days I have ever had-- so I will go into a play by play of all that we did. We started our morning at The Bagel Barn, which Greg owns. It was a delicious breakfast followed by shopping in the downtown shops and local vendors. I got a bunch of great gifts for friends back home! I was trying to get a lot of stuff that I can send back with my Mom and Taylor when we see them in Belize. 

After shopping we went to some of the different hotels and enjoyed the architecture of all the buildings. We had lunch on the hill at an amazing restaurant that overlooks all of Antigua. Antigua is a 10 by 10 little town filled with life and color.

Okay I will finish on our day later because now we are off to Lake Atitlan! :)


To finish about our day in Antigua-- Our lunch on the hill included, pizza, burgers, and salads. It was delicious food and an outstanding view. 
When we got back to Greg’s we decided to light up the sauna/steam room. It looks like a little oven but it is actually quite spacious inside and so relaxing. It was like being at a spa. Greg cut up aloe leaves to use during our third round in the steam room because it makes the skin extremely soft as well as helps get rid of scars. Greg is a very spiritual, intellectual guy. The sauna/steam room was so nice. I loved it and couldn’t of been more pleased with our stay. 
After we had a homemade dinner and watched another movie. Greg was an extra in Black Hawk Down so we made him show us the scene. It was cool because he told us a lot of background on the movie. I look forward to the day I go back to Antigua. It will definitely be in the near future. I really do love it there and three days was not enough. 


Overlooking Antigua





pupusas-- tortilla with bean and cheese inside.





No comments:

Post a Comment